The cold and flu season has arrived – and everyone is susceptible, whether young or old! So what can you do to protect yourself and your loved ones from these viruses? Doctors can give you medicines to reduce fever and antibiotics, or antiviral to remove infections, but there are also several natural remedies we can adopt to stay safe from these types of infectious diseases.
Here, I share how to use three natural herbs - Turmeric, Giloy and Tulsi - to increase the immunity of your family members against cold and flu viruses. You can use them in the following recipes to boost your immunity:
- Turmeric (Haldi) – This is one of the most effective natural remedies, especially for children, to increase immunity against cold and flu viruses and other disease causing pathogens. You can use turmeric in following ways:
- Make a Turmeric shot – Take a glass of lukewarm water, mix a pinch of turmeric powder, a little honey and ginger to the drink and consume in a 2 oz (one shot) or larger quantity.
- Prepare Turmeric Milk – Take half a cup of warm milk and mix a pinch of turmeric powder into it. If you are preparing this for a small child you can add a little sugar to enhance its taste. This is the best cold-busting remedy for your kids. I use it at my home in almost every season, or whenever required.
- Make Turmeric Tea – Take a cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric, a pinch of black pepper and a little ginger. Pour the tea into a cup and mix in half a teaspoon of honey. You can also squeeze a little lemon juice into this turmeric tea.
- Consume Raw - Otherwise, you can simply take ½ a teaspoon of turmeric powder and drink water afterwards. Devang’s Turmeric powder is made from organic Haldi grown at our farms using traditional methods.
Note: Reduce the quantity of turmeric powder to 1/3rd in your recipe, if preparing for children (below 12 years of age).
- Giloy – Giloy is a herb known to increase immunity against pathogens and reduce fever. Giloy also protects your liver. You can grow this herb in your terrace or courtyard and consume fresh, or you can purchase the herbal powder (for instance Devang’s Giloy Powder) available in the market. It is an effective remedy against any type of fever, including dengue and malaria, to reduce temperature as well as increase the platelet count. You can use Giloy stem fresh or powdered in following ways:
- Make Giloy Sat – Take a small twig of Giloy stem and soak it overnight in a litre of water. In the morning boil the water to its half and sieve it to get a clear drink of Giloy. This can be consumed alone or with a little honey mixed in.
- Make a Giloy Shot - Mix a teaspoon of Giloy powder in a glass of lukewarm water and add a little honey, then consume in a 2 oz (one shot) or greater quantity.
- Consume Raw - One teaspoon (2.5 grams) of Giloy powder can also be taken twice a day with lukewarm water. Giloy powder is also available at Devang House.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) – Tulsi, the “Queen of Herbs,” is an age-old domestic plant worshiped for its amazing properties. Since old times Tulsi has been considered a sacred plant which has the potential to cleanse all sins - and in more scientific terms, it improves immunity against cold, cough and flu. Planting Tulsi at your home can keep mosquitoes and insects away from your house. Leaves of this amazing herb can be used in following ways:
- Tulsi Tea – Take a cup of boiling water, add 7-8 Tulsi leaves, a little ginger and a pinch of black pepper. Pour this tea into a cup and if you want, stir a little honey into it. You can also add Tulsi leaves to your regular teas.
- Juices, Smoothies and Salads - Add fresh Tulsi leaves or powder to your juices, smoothies and salads. It will not only build the flavor but also enhance the nutritional benefits of your food.
- Consume Raw - You can take raw Tulsi leaves and chew them.
So, buy a Tulsi plant today (also available at Devang House) and plant it at your home to experience the benefits of this amazing herb.
By integrating these three plants into our life, we can stay naturally free from disease and enjoy health and happiness in every season!
Sweta Srivastava is Devang’s Health Care Research Expert. Sweta has received her Graduate degree in Biological Sciences & Post-graduate degree in Environmental Science from the University of Allahabad. She is studying, working and researching into the field of herbs and healthcare science since more than twelve years. She strongly believes in herbal science of healing and follows the same in her life.