The inclusion of oil and fats in our diet is essential to good health - but how do we choose the right ones?
Avoiding bad fats is important to maintaining a healthy weight and enjoying overall wellbeing.
However, healthy fats are needed for the absorption of several vitamins (Vitamin A, D, E & K), synthesis of hormones and vitamin D, brain functioning, cell wall formation and many other metabolic reactions in the body.
Given these benefits, which oil should we choose? Here are three amazing cooking oils and how to incorporate them in your lifestyle:
1. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is the most cooling among all oils. Coconut Oil is especially beneficial for:
~Heart Health – Coconut oil contains zero cholesterol and zero trans fats, therefore it’s good for dieting and heart health.
The oil is rich in small and medium chain fats, which are good for health and increase the HDL level i.e. good cholesterol in the body. Good cholesterol helps in the cleansing of bad cholesterol and prevents the deposition of cholesterol.
To enjoy the heart healthy benefits of coconut oil, cook foods in it over slow and medium heat or consume the oil raw (you can take one teaspoon first thing in the morning).
You can buy organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil from Devang online and at Devang House.
2. Cow Ghee: Cow ghee is traditionally known to be full of beneficial fats and has been consumed by our ancestors in India for years. Cow Ghee is especially beneficial for:
Organic Desi cow ghee can be purchased through Devang’s organic subscription.
3. Mustard Oil: Mustard oil is clinically-proven as the best oil for heart health. Studies have revealed that the use of mustard oil as a cooking medium can reduce the risk of heart disease by nearly 70% (Am J Clin Nutr. 2004). Mustard oil is especially beneficial for:
Mustard oil should be consumed after heating (see point below).
Note that mustard oil is a little hot in nature and has pungent flavor and odour. This can be reduced by first heating the oil till smoke point and then cooling it down to room temperature – then store the oil in an airtight container.
Organic mustard oil can be purchased through Devang’s organic subscription.
Using the right oils wisely and in moderation is the best way to enjoy all their benefits. Enjoy the enhanced flavor of your food, and balance this with regular exercise to enjoy perfect health!
- Sudip Mishra, MD & S.C. Cooking Oils for Heart Health. Manchanda, MDM. Journal of Preventive Cardiology. Feb. 2012; Vol. 1, No.3.
- Chag Milan, MD, DM, DNB. Oil, Ghee, Cheese, Butter, Cholesterol and Atherosclerosis… What Should We Know? Gujarat Medical Journal, 2010; Vol.65, No.2.
- Rastogi et al. Diet and Risk of Ischemic Heart Disease in India. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79:582-92.
Sweta Srivastava is Devang’s Health Care Research Expert. Sweta has received her Graduate degree in Biological Sciences & Post-graduate degree in Environmental Science from the University of Allahabad. She is studying, working and researching into the field of herbs and healthcare science since more than twelve years. She strongly believes in herbal science of healing and follows the same in her life.