This week, Chef Priyam is sharing a Devang House classic, and one of our most popular dishes - the lentil burger. This vegetarian burger is easily prepared with ingredients in your kitchen: green moong lentils, potatoes, onions and spices. Try it with a side of ragi nachos or sweet potato chips!
- Mustard oil (30 ml or 2 tbsp)
- Onions, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- Rock salt, to taste
- Black pepper (5g or 1 tsp)
- Red chili powder (10 g or 2 tsp)
- Turmeric (10 g or 2 tsp)
- Garam masala (15 g or 1 tbsp)
- Cumin powder (10 g or 2 tsp)
- Green moong lentils (cooked, 2 cups)
- Potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed (1.5 cups)
- Burger buns (2 buns)
- Mint chutney (for serving)
- Tomatoes, sliced (2 large)
- Cucumber, peeled and sliced (2 medium)
Makes 2 burgers
- Gather all the ingredients, wash and prepare all vegetables.
- Heat a pan over medium flame and add 1.5 tbsp mustard oil. Sautee the onions until golden brown. Add salt, pepper, red chili powder, turmeric, cumin powder and garam masala as soon as the onions are golden brown. Saute the mixture for a little longer, then remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- In a fresh bowl, mash the green lentils, mashed potatoes and onions together. Form into two patties.
- Heat another non-stick pan over medium heat, apply ½ tbsp oil. Sear the patties one by one until golden brown on both sides.
- In the meanwhile, cut the burger bun into halves and toast.
- Apply mint chutney on both sides of the buns. Place the sliced cucumbers and tomatoes on the bottom half of the burger bun. Place the patty on top of the cucumbers and tomatoes. Place the other half of the burger bun on top and serve immediately.
We recommend you buy all ingredients Organic for a healthy and nourishing meal for you and the planet.
Order your Organic foods at www.devang.house/pages/subscription.