We all look for natural and healthier options for everything, including sugar. And refined sugar or refined carbohydrates are the primary things we must avoid if we have health conditions like diabetes and obesity.
Coconut sugar is a natural sugar substitute made from sap, extracted from the trunk of the coconut tree. The sugar, which looks and taste like brown sugar, has now gained popularity as a natural sweetener. Here are three benefits of the natural sweetener:
- Use in bakery products: Coconut sugar is excellent in bakery products because of its extremely high burn temperature.
- Lower Glycemic Index: The sugar has a low G.I.* (35) compared to cane sugar (approx. 60). Therefore, it is a relatively healthier option for people with high blood glucose and those wishing to lose weight.
However, according to the American Diabetes Association, coconut palm sugar should be given the same treatment as white sugar in dietary planning – as it provides nearly the same amount of calories and carbohydrates.
- High nutritional value: As Coconut Sap is highly nutritious (containing minerals, Iron, Zinc, Potassium, Calcium etc.); sugar derived from Coconut sap is also considered to be nutritious (although there is no significant data available in this regard).
Here are some innovative ways to use coconut sugar in cooking:
- Add it to Thai and Asian dishes as a natural and flavorful sweetener
- Use it in healthy and vegan desserts like flourless brownies, or red velvet cupcakes.
- Sweeten your tea and coffee – coconut sugar is perfect with Devang’s masala chai mix (purchase both from Devang here!).
A varied diet is the key to good health - introduce this natural sweetener in your life for a varied and wholesome diet!
*Glycemic Index (G.I.) is a scale which measures how a particular food will affect the blood glucose level. Food with low G.I. causes slower rise of blood glucose level as compare to the food with high G.I.
- Coconut palm sugar. American diabetes association. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/coconut-palm-sugar.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.in/