Triphala, one of the most well-known classical Ayurvedic formulations, is a combination of the three fruits Amla (Indian Gooseberry), Harad (Chebulic Myrobalan) and Baheda (Belleric Myrobalan). People have used Triphala since ancient times for its amazing health benefits, and several scientific studies have proven its efficacy in enhancing overall human health. 2.5 grams of Triphala powder can be taken in the morning on an empty stomach and at night after dinner with lukewarm water, milk or honey.
Here are six reasons to include this powerful Ayurvedic formulation in your life:
- To Detoxify Your Body: Triphala is an easy-to-adopt ancient therapy to flush toxins out of the body. The antioxidants including vitamin C and fibers present in the three fruits detoxify the body and help maintain a healthy weight naturally.
- To Stimulate Digestion: The three fruits Amla, Harad and Baheda help stimulate digestion. Amla encourages the growth of healthy bacteria needed by the human intestine and cleanses harmful bacteria, promoting a healthy digestive system. Amla also increases appetite and the absorption of nutrients. Harad helps cleanse the intestine, relieving constipation.
- To Increase Immunity: Vitamin C present in the three fruits - especially Amla, which has the highest amount of any natural source (approximately 200-900mg vitamin C /100g) - ensures immunity against various disease-causing pathogens. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant which neutralizes the free radicals arisen due to various biochemical activities inside the body, for example respiration, metabolism and some others like stress, smoking, alcohol and environmental pollution. These free radicals cause different kind of diseases, inflammation and ageing in the body.
- To Delay Hair Whitening and Improve Hair Texture: Eating Triphala powder regularly and applying it on scalp cleanses the hair, improves hair texture and reduces hair fall. To wash hair, take around 4 teaspoons full of Triphala powder and soak it overnight. Apply the paste over scalp and leave it for approximately 2 hours. After that, rinse your hair well and remove the Triphala hair pack. Do this twice a week for best results. Regular consumption and application of Triphala powder also delays hair whitening and other signs of aging.
- To Cleanse and Nourish Skin: Vitamin C found in the fruits of Triphala fights free radicals and stops damage to the skin. It helps in building collagen, responsible for strength and elasticity of the skin. In addition to consuming Triphala orally, you can use Triphala powder as an herbal scrub to cleanse your skin, remove dirt and small bacteria which cause acne or other problems to the skin.
- To Improve Eyesight: Certain health conditions such as prolonged constipation, stress, other chronic diseases and even excessive smoking and alcohol intake can affect your eyesight. Eating Triphala powder nourishes and detoxifies the body internally whereas washing eyes with Triphala water cleanses the eyes externally, reducing redness, irritation and promoting eye sight. To make Triphala water, soak 1 teaspoon of Triphala powder in a cup of water at night and sieve it in the morning with a fine cloth to get clear triphala water. Then use the water to wash your eyes.
People who consume Triphala regularly have a strong immune system, perfect digestion, improved vision, shiny and lustrous hair and healthy skin. The formulation is also beneficial during seasonal changes to prevent diseases. It delays the early signs of aging such as saggy skin, eye weakness, hair whitening, and depleting memory. The three fruits of Nature have immeasurable value to human health - see how they change your life!
Sweta Srivastava is Devang’s Health Care Research Expert. Sweta received her Graduate degree in Biological Science & Post-graduate degree in Environmental Science from the University of Allahabad. She has been studying, researching and working in the field of herbs and healthcare science for more than twelve years.